Back in my single days I had high hopes about international travel.
Traveling alone I always used to dress smartly in the hopes of being picked for an upgrade to business class. Most of the time all I got was strange looks when I sat in my seat all squashed in a suit. People did not know what to make of it and I was miserable the whole trip.
I got upgraded one time – did not wear a suit that day – go figure.
Fast forward a few years.
Now I travel with this crew:
Don’t get me wrong – I love them to death and would not trade them for the world, but when it comes to traveling – three kids can have their own little challenges.
Here is a quick summary of our flight:
- one of them is always going to the bathroom
- KLM enforcing the fasten seat belt policy squashed our hopes of having the older two sleep on the floor 🙁
- airline food is unexciting – having picky eaters makes the challenge even bigger
- the term “lap child” only sounds innocent when you say it fast. Try holding an almost 2 year old for 10 hours. And no they are NOT free – every airline manages to find some strange ticket as a basis for the taxes they make you pay for the lap child.
- and as the crowning moment our oldest has to use the barf bags after we have landed and wait to deplane. At least this time we did not get the worst of it.
- our airline manages to lose two suitcases – still waiting on those.
The joys of travel – but had it gone smoothly I would have nothing to blog about.